[rt-users] Error - Can't locate object method "connect" via package "DBI"

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Thu Jan 10 12:21:29 EST 2002

Adrian Galindo wrote:

> Sam Leibowitz escribió:
> >
> > Apologies if this has been asked and answered elsewhere.
> >
> > Yesterday, I got most of hte way through an install or RT on a SuSE 7.3
> > box. After a nagging problem where Apache wasn't able to find the DBI.pm
> > module was resolved (I copied it from one directory to another to fix it),
> > the server starts, but throws a 500 internal server error. The error in
> > the log reads:
> >
> > [Thu Jan 10 10:15:23 2002] [error] Can't locate object method
> > "connect" via package "DBI" (perhaps you forgot to load "DBI"?) at
> > /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/DBIx/SearchBuilder/Handle.pm line 121.
>
> You have to install the package DBI _after_ the Apache::DBI
> The order is important here. I've been looking too for this, and as far
> I got, is not documented. Maybe would be a good entry to the FAQ.

There's no reason for installation order to effect Perl finding or not finding
modules.  I installed all of the normal DBI and DBD::* packages before even
installing Apache::DBI and it works fine.

You may need to do more than just copy one DBI.pm file over and install the
whole DBI package.  There's a DBI.so and a bunch of other files that DBI
installs into perl.  This is the list of files from the DBI-1.20.tar.gz
that get installed into Perl:

% find arch lib -type f
arch/auto/DBI/.exists
arch/auto/DBI/DBIXS.h