[rt-users] Installation Confusion

Jim Ficarra jficarra at crosscurrent.com
Thu Jul 11 13:49:44 EDT 2002

Nate,

Make sure you follow the installation instructions to the T.

First, if the make install fails, you need to drop the database before
attempting the make install again.  The make file makes this easy...all you
have to do is type "make dropdb."

You must edit the make file and create the rt group within Linux first
before you do the make install.  There is a DB_DBA_PASSWORD parameter in the
make file that you need to set so that when the install runs it logs in with
that username and password as supplied in the Makefile.  When you install
MySQL the password is blank (at least it was during my install) which means
you have to set it.  The password you set using the MySQL tools should match
the one in the Makefile BEFORE you run the installation.

Ensure you have the MySQL client tools installed too..the tool you need to
change the password comes with this package.  Once the server and the client
tools are installed, type the following to change your MySQL password:

/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -p password 'new-password'

Where 'new-password' is the one that matches the one in the Makefile (w/out
the quotes).  It should prompt you for a password when you run this.
Assuming it's still blank, just hit enter.

Hope this helps.

-Jim