[rt-users] MIME parsing not recursive?

Bruce Campbell bruce_campbell at ripe.net
Fri Jul 12 09:35:27 EDT 2002

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> I often send attachments in MIME to RT and they are parsed fine: Web
> users see the attached document, they can click on it and it works
> (depending on their browser's setup).

Speaking of which, http://www.amsterdamned.org/~bc/rt/mimefind.pl (and
mimefind.usage) may help in dealing with annoying Microsoft mail programs
and 'application/octet-stream' for any attachment.

> But, if the attachement is itself made of parts (MIME is recursive),
> such as when I forward a multipart message from mutt with
> "mime_forward" set, RT only displays the "top level" part, when the
> user clicks on it, it sees the encoded subparts.
>
> Is it a limit of RT, a feature or a misconfiguration from me?

I think RT is only going one level down.  The table structure encourages
nested attachments, but the process putting them in doesn't.  RT bug.

                   Systems/Network Engineer                             NCC
                 www.ripe.net - PGP562C8B1B             Operations/Security