[rt-users] Recovering from spam, clean up DB?

Rich Lafferty rich+rt at lafferty.ca
Mon Jul 29 15:14:52 EDT 2002

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 06:35:29PM +0300, Odhiambo Washington <wash at wananchi.biz> wrote:
> * Rich Lafferty <rich+rt at lafferty.ca> [20020729 18:25]: wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 10:08:20AM -0400, Michael Marziani <michaelm at kw.com> wrote:
> > > Over the weekend a misconfigured autoresponder deluged our RT system
> > > with around 10,000 tickets.  I've blocked the user at the sendmail
> > > level, but now I need a way to clean up my database (mysql).  Has anyone
> > > dealt with this before?
> >
> > We had a 5000 ticket flood a few weeks ago -- I just marked the
> > tickets as dead and was done with it.
>

> Hello Rich,
>
> Excuse me for jumping in but what gave you the "flood"?

A virus-infected system that apparently had a bunch of our queue
addresses in its addressbook. The unfortunate part was that our local
virus-scanner caught all of the messages -- and then sent mail to the
recipient saying "I stopped this virus!", which is what filled the
queues!

> I'm wondering if there is a way to protect rt against such a situation.

For me, plain old mail filtering.

Cheers,

  -Rich

--
 Ottawa, Ontario, Canada    |  Save the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus!