[rt-users] Trying to fix a broken install of RT2.0.13

Rich Lafferty rich+rt at lafferty.ca
Mon Jul 29 15:24:00 EDT 2002

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 09:36:09AM -0700, RT2 Troubles <rt2trouble at morben.ca> wrote:

> I understand the idea of this discussion group attempting to get everyone to
> buy support before offering assistance.

That's not the idea of this list at all. This is a bunch of volunteers
doing things that they find interesting. Generally, "I've screwed
things up, could someone please bail me out?" isn't something very
interesting to work on, so there's no reason to /expect/ anything of
this list. The *only* way you can expect support is to pay for it, and
now you need to figure out what your time is worth to you.

In other words, it's not "before offering assistance". If no-one
offers assistance, it's because they don't want to, or
can't. Suggesting that you buy support is orthogonal to that --
suggesting that *since* you're not getting the help you need here,
thre's an alternative. That you haven't bought support has nothing
at all to do with whether or not people here will help.

For instance, you wrote

> > > Anyone want to mock my process and perhaps suggest a better method of
> > > getting RT to resume sending mail when I reply to a message?

That would mean that someone would have to either set up an entirely
new RT instance just to help you solve your problem -- and even then
would have to count on making the same error you made that broke
everything -- or to put their production or development RT instance at
risk by doing things that are known to break it.  There's really no
incentive for anyone to do that, so you have to create an incentive,
and one tends to create that sort of incentive by paying someone else
to do it.

(Were I you, though, I'd just start over.)

  -Rich

--
 Ottawa, Ontario, Canada    |  Save the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus!