Dealing with spam in RT (was Re: Fwd: [rt-users] Execute Arbitrary Perl Script on resolve)

Bruce Campbell bruce_campbell at ripe.net
Sun Jun 9 15:48:23 EDT 2002

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Vivek Khera wrote:

> NB> Filtering the spam by hand is simply unpractical in some sites, due to
> NB> the volume received.
>
> NB> The only (bad) way I could think of doing was something like...
>
> Well, I hope you'd exempt your "email abuse" queue from such a
> scheme...

Actually, theres a very good argument _for_ filtering your network-abuse
queue using the split-queue method put forward by Niall; its an address
that has been made public, and thus, will receive spam.  You would make
the filter be rather loose in what it rejects of course.

( IMHO, sending complainers a seperate email if their message really
  looks like spam (excluding the idiots who use their mailer's bounce
  function to send a complaint) has the additional future behavioural
  benefit of getting them to properly format their complaint mails. )

> I think it depends entirely on your user population.  For us, we

Yes.  The case of the RIPE NCC's 'email abuse' queue is further
complicated, mainly by ignorant 'merkins. ;)

                              Currently at:                             NCC
                 NANOG 25, Toronto, Canada.                      Operations