[rt-users] Interfacing with RT via PHP

Bob Apthorpe arclight at jump.net
Wed Jun 19 00:30:09 EDT 2002

On Tuesday 18 June 2002 03:44, Michael Thompson wrote:
> I have contemplated trying to integrate RT into our local sourceforge to
> replace the php based bug tracking tool. I was thinking about running RT
> in a frame but wanted to integrate the login with sourceforge and use
> php code to display a list of open tickets for each user.

I think it would be healthy to eventually separate RT's UI from the
underlying engine (business logic), both to make the system more scalable and
to accomodate those that [prefer|are shackled to] a dynamic content
generation system other than HTML::Mason. I think perl is the neatest thing
since microwave ovens and mexican wrestlers, but I've had a lot of success
installing PHP apps. Mason can be cranky and it requires a bit more fiddling
with a coathanger to get running whereas most of my PHP app installations
didn't require an opposable thumb.

Having said that, I believe the development resources (i.e. Jesse) are best
directed at 2.1 and 3.0; I don't think a PHP-based UI is a Bad Thing but
those that want it shouldn't wait for someone else to build it.

-- Bob