[rt-users] mod_perl problem?

darren chamberlain darren at boston.com
Thu Jun 20 12:58:14 EDT 2002

* Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> [2002-06-20 12:49]:
> On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 11:55:43AM -0400,
>  darren chamberlain <darren at boston.com> wrote
>  a message of 30 lines which said:
>
> > Does httpd -l show mod_perl.c, or are you loading the DSO?  Also, you
> > might want to consider building the whole thing from source; that way
> > you can be assured that you have the required parts.  If you go in this
> > direction, build a new Perl, a new Apache, and all new modules.
>
> Completely useless on Debian, RT works fine on several Debian machines
> I manage with just the standard packages (except RT
> itself). <flame>This is not RedHat</flame>.

No, very much *not* useless.  He didn't specify which version of Debian
was was using, and therefore which version of Perl, or Apache, or any of
the modules.  Rather than get into a potential "upgrade your OS"
discussion, I opted to suggest a fresh build.

This is a good idea anyway.  With a complex application such as RT, with
a lot of dependencies, it is almost always easiest (especially in the
short run) to set up a sandboxed copy of all the appropriate software,
to ensure that there are no unforeseen interactions.

(darren)

--
There is no expedient to which a man will not go to
avoid the real labour of thinking.