[rt-users] RT and Projects

Goldowsky, Boris boris at infoplease.com
Thu Jun 6 12:46:11 EDT 2002

We've been using RT pretty happily for keeping track of simple requests and
tasks, but lately I've been thinking about how best to track "projects", by
which I mean something larger than the typical trouble-ticket item.  A
project might have multiple developers working on it, go through various
stages of a lifecycle, and have a number of subtasks, for instance.

One could imagine using RT to track projects, since you could assign
keywords for lifecycle stages, use the parent-child relationships to track
subtasks, etc.  But it seems like fairly extensive work would need to be
done to make it usable, for instance:
	- a view showing only top-level tasks (those without a parent),
which are the projects
	- the abilty to operate on a project and its subtasks as a unit
	- ability to have multiple keywords as part of the queue listing
	- multiple views of queue, with different columns
has anyone taken a path like this?  It seems overly ambitious for me right
now.

Another tack would be to have a separate piece of software to track
projects, and maybe get some hooks in so that RT tasks can be "related to"
or "children of" projects.  There are hundreds of project management
software titles available - any recommendations of ones that are similar in
spirit to RT? By that I mean something relatively simple (not trying to
redesign your enterprise for a million-dollar licensing fee), somewhat
customizable, and open in structure so that one could imagine integrating
them into an existing structure???

thanks for any ideas --

Bng

Our network may monitor outgoing and incoming e-mail messages
for security and customer service purposes, but this e-mail is
confidential.

Please notify the sender immediately if you receive it in error,
and then delete it.