[rt-users] AdminGroups

Bob Shafer bshafer at du.edu
Thu Mar 14 09:10:22 EST 2002

I'm a newbie and I'm stumbling my way along the path.  After a bunch of
fiddling, reading the documentation and the mailing list archives I've
got something that seems to be working.  I'm far enough along now to
experiment with how I would like to have things set up.  But I've run into
a problem and I'm wondering if I'm going about things correctly.

If it works out, we'll bring RT2 up with at least a few queues.  For
things like our NOC, Help Desk and Secuity Desk, etc.

I really don't want to have to manage all the queues, so I'm trying to set
things up so the supervisors in those areas can do most of their
own administration.

To that end, I've set up a QAdmin group with a couple of permissions at
the global level to allow them to manage users and groups. (AdminUsers and
AdminGroups).

Once I understood how to do that, it was easy.  I set up the group, added
myself as a user, logged out of root, and in as myself.  And it all
worked, I can do everything I expected to do, but add users to groups.

I can create groups, which I'd just as soon not allow Qadmins, at least to
begin with, but I can't add users to the groups, which I would like
them to be able to do.

So, what am I doing wrong?   Do I need to allow other rights?

Thanks,

Bob Shafer
University of Denver

P.S. And thanks to Jesse and everyone else who has contributed to RT.  It
sure looks like something that will meet a big need at DU.