[rt-users] Site-specific customization of RT, and DTRT

Phil Homewood pdh at snapgear.com
Sun Mar 24 18:23:32 EST 2002

Michael K Brown wrote:
> What I'm asking is: Is what I've currently done the best way to do it?  I'm
> thinking down the lines when it comes time to upgrade... and upgrade... and
> upgrade...  I don't want my customizations to get wiped out at some point in
> the future, requiring a lot of work to fix it.  The rt2.0.11 -> rt2.0.12 was
> fairly painless, in that none of my tweaks got destroyed.  Am I going about
> things the right way, or is there a better way to do it?

My way takes a bit of setup, but it's been worth it. :-)

I keep a local CVS repository, including my changes, and periodically
import later versions from Jesse's tarballs. A simple merge and all
my changes are incorporated into the new version.

Using the Mason "local" directories is fine, but when you end up
duplicating more than a couple of files, it becomes less fun; you
still need to ensure your "local" files don't become stale. CVS
helps take care of this for you.