[rt-users] [netaktiv.com #22] Getting users outside of RT database

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Mon Mar 25 07:02:36 EST 2002

On Monday 25 March 2002 11:31 am, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to simplify the life of the staff people: they should be
> able to use the same password for RT than for something else. And also
> to simplify my life: when a new employee comes in, I just want to
> create her an account once, including for RT.

I also failed to understand/get working the external authentication system,
however I have got a reasonable workaround.

When I create a new user, I always do it from our main server, using an
in-house script that calls AIX's commands to create the user locally.  It
then ssh's to various other machines running similar scripts on those boxes,
thus creating an RT user, an email mailbox/alias etc.

The next step will be to write a script that will run daily to syncronize the
password on the users table inside RT to that on the AIX box (they both use
the standard crypt library).

This way, everyone uses the same username/password for RT as they do for
everything else. (AIX forces a password change every 30 days)