[rt-users] [netaktiv.com #100] RT email and the ISO-8859-1 characters

Ben Gertzfield che at debian.org
Tue Mar 26 03:57:13 EST 2002

    Stephane> Thanks for the tip. Do you think we may see an
    Stephane> internationalized (I don't ask for a French
    Stephane> localization, I could do it myself) version of RT soon?
    Stephane> Or should I tinker in my backyard only?

The problem is that Mason is not yet internationalized, so we
would have to invent our own framework.

    Ben> Also, you will want to consider properly encoding the body
    Ben> and headers with Quoted-Printable and QP encoding.

    Stephane> Never. I never use QP. Nobody does it in
    Stephane> Latin-1-speaking countries.

If you do not send your 8-bit email encoded either in Quoted-Printable
or Base64, then you're violating RFC 2822 and will run into trouble
with email gateways:

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2822.html

2.1. General Description

   At the most basic level, a message is a series of characters.  A
   message that is conformant with this standard is comprised of
   characters with values in the range 1 through 127 and interpreted as
   US-ASCII characters [ASCII].  For brevity, this document sometimes
   refers to this range of characters as simply "US-ASCII characters".

[snip]

I highly doubt that "nobody does it"; I receive email transparently
encoded in quoted-printable every day with the proper headers, and my
MUA converts it to the correct 8-bit Latin-1 for me automatically.

What makes you say that "nobody does it"?

Ben

--
Brought to you by the letters B and C and the number 15.
"I'm with insurance."