[rt-users] Site-specific customization of RT

Smylers smylers at gbdirect.co.uk
Tue Mar 26 10:06:49 EST 2002

On Friday I wrote:

> You can put things under these directories:
>
>   rt/local/WebRT/html/
>   rt/local/lib/
>
> If a file of the same name exists in the local and non-local
> directories, the local one will be used.

That was my understanding of the purpose of rt/local/, but appears not
to be the case.  It works for html/, but not lib/.

I've easily made it work for lib by editing each of the files in rt/bin
from having these two lines:

  use lib "/usr/local/rt/lib";
  use lib "/usr/local/rt/etc";

to these three:

  use lib "/usr/local/rt/lib";
  use lib "/usr/local/rt/local/lib";
  use lib "/usr/local/rt/etc";

That's fine.  But the fact that I had to do this hacking means that it
isn't how things are supposed to be done, and suggests that I've greatly
misunderstood the purpose of rt/local/.

  * Should I just be putting customized modules under rt/lib/RT, along
    with the standard ones?

  * What should be in rt/local/ then?  If rt/local/lib/ isn't the done
    thing then the only content of that directory is rt/local/WebRT/,
    and the only content of _that_ directory is rt/local/WebRT/html/,
    and I don't see the point of having two extra levels of hierarchy
    that don't contain anything.

What am I missing here?

Smylers
--