[rt-users] preferred db for rt ?

Mat mwatson at netspace.net.au
Sat Mar 30 21:02:41 EST 2002

Is it always slow? or just slow when alot of users are using it?

Eg, If you do a search at 3am in the morning when there are no other users
on does it seem fast.

Is everything slow or just certain searches?

I found that mysql runs into problem with locking, due to the fact the
mysql's default table type uses table level locking, which causes major
issues
when there are lots of people using RT2. postgres uses row level which
seems to work better. I haven't moved over to postgres yet, however my
initial testing seems to indicate that searchs are in general a little
slower
on postgres when there is only one user, however you don't end up with
everyone waiting for a table to unlock so their query can run, so it runs
better overall when there are lots of users.

mysql certainly seems faster when 99% of the queries are selects, but throw
few updates in there and it soon locks up.

Also... how have you configured mysql, at first I got bitten not knowing
that
you actually have to tell mysql how much ram it can use, which resulted in
mysql continuely having to write searches out to disk, drematically slowing
down the queries.

Regards,
Mat.