[rt-users] Autoreply issues

Phil Homewood pdh at snapgear.com
Wed May 1 20:34:59 EDT 2002

Michael Grubb wrote:
> I have a situation where I have several 3rd parties sending automated email
> into our ticket system, but it is addressed as though it is comming from the
> same address as the queue's correspond address.  The result being that the
> ticket is created, but the autoreply causes a RT Bounce: message to be sent
> to rt-admin.

Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I hit myself with this hammer!

> I was under the impression that RT would not send mail to
> itself.  I have the offending address listed in the IsRtAddress in the
> config.pm file.  I always have the option of modifying the Autoresponse
> scripaction to look for such a condition but, that seems like a kludge to me.
> Is there a more elegant way of fixing this that I'm not seeing or must I
> resort to the kludge?

IsRTAddress() isn't used by the scrips; it's used by the mailgate
logic which parses the headers for addresses to add as CCs. It isn't
consulted for the ticket requestor.

I don't know how RT would handle not having a requestor (the
RT::Action::SendEmail based scrips won't care, but the database
might...) but the AutoreplyToRequestor scrip will /always/ notify
the requestor. So the solution might be to modify the logic that
attaches the Requestor to the ticket and swap in a dummy (null?)
requestor if IsRTAddress().

This is something I'm mildly interested in fixing myself, as some
of my staff like to send mail "from" RT addresses. So far I haven't
been motivated enough to dick with anything, though. The /real/ fix
is to stop people pretending to be RT.