[rt-users] separating users from different queues

Harald Kollera harald.kollera at fun.de
Thu May 2 07:08:08 EDT 2002

Hi Manfred,

Manfred Bathelt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 1. I want to keep one single instance of rt for several different queues
> - that works well so far.
> But I need to keep users from one queue away from reading tickets in
> other queues, while
> I do not want to keep them from tickets in their own queue. I did not
> get this with playing
> around with rights at the pseudo-groups level. Then I created a
> "member"-group for each queue
> and gave "SeeQueue" and "Showticket" for the specific group and cleared
> all rights for
> pseudo-groups - but the ticket seach pages/home of priviledged users
> obviously does
> not care about these rights and always shows all queues and allows
> direct jump to tickets
> by entering ticket numbers.
> So I can not keep tickets related to one queue secret to users of
> another queue, which is a
> major problem to me in some cases.
> I'm not quite sure whether this is this a bug in the find/browse
> WebUI-Module or a feature to
> open rt contents to the world, but I would be really glad, if someone
> could give me a hint
> here how to fix this easily!

I'm working on a search function for my "underprivileged users" (see
2.),
where users only can search their queues, their tickets and the tickets
of
their external group.

> 2. Privileged users with not much privileges (see 1.) get the full
> complexity of the
> administrators Web-UI - which is not neccessary.  Isn't there a simple
> way to give my usergroup
> members an easier view to let them search, browse and enter tickets as
> unprivileged users?

may be a solution like the one I had described in
http://lists.fsck.com/pipermail/rt-users/2002-April/007922.html
may help you.

If you have a new user, you have to create him "privileged", put him
into a real group with access to a queue or two. Then take away the
privileged flag and if he has a X_-Nickname (as an external group), he
has only access to the queues he would be privileged for, but only in a
Web-UI like the SelfService.
And he can see only his tickets and the tickets others of his group have
requested. There are also things possible like:

User       :   cust A              cust B            (same X_ group)
Real Groups:   XXX,ZZZ             YYY,ZZZ
Queue acces:   1 and 3             2 and 3

Searching is not implemented yet. But my collegues are forcing me to
make it real soon :)

greetings
Harald
--