[rt-users] Performance Tuning for PostgreSQL

Michael Alan Dorman mdorman at debian.org
Wed May 8 19:11:25 EDT 2002

Jim Meyer <purp at wildbrain.com> writes:

> I suspect that it had never been run after setting up the schema, so
> the DB was going with no hints. Can anyone confirm or deny this? If
> it turns out that this is correct, I'd highly suggest that "VACUUM
> ANALYZE" be run immediately after setting up a new PG schema.

No, you need to do periodic ANALYZEs to update statistics about the
tables.  It's no good when there's no data in the tables, you get
b0rken statistics.

Please consult the performance tuning documentation for PostgreSQL at
http://postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.2/postgres/performance-tips.html,
which include a whole section about the planners statistics usage and
the care and feeding thereof.

Mike.