[rt-users] Installation on Cobalt RaQ XTR

Swayne, Mark A mark.a.swayne at xo.com
Thu May 23 13:59:31 EDT 2002

Sounds like a good reason not to use a Cobalt.

Just spent a few minutes searching the knowledge base, and the only hint of
catastrophe was in this article:

Question
How do I determine which version of perl is insatlled?
Answer
SUN COBALT PRODUCTS ARE SERVER APPLIANCES AND ARE DESIGNED TO PROVIDE
SERVICES SUCH AS WEB HOSTING, E-MAIL, AND FILE SHARING, WHICH ARE ACCESSED
VIA A WEB-BASED USER INTERFACE. DIRECT ACCESS OR MODIFICATION OF THE
UNDERLYING SOFTWARE OR HARDWARE OF THE SUN COBALT PRODUCT IS NOT SUPPORTED
BY SUN COBALT AND WILL VOID YOUR PRODUCT WARRANTY. THE INFORMATION BELOW IS
PROVIDED "AS IS," FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. SUN COBALT WILL NOT BE
LIABLE FOR ANY LOSSES OR DAMAGES SUFFERED AS A RESULT OF YOUR USE OF THIS
INFORMATION. PHONE AND WEB-BASED SUPPORT WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR SYSTEM
ISSUES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF THIS INFORMATION.
Log into the server using a telnet application, and enter the following at
the command line:

[admin admin]$ perl -v

http://cobalt-knowledge.sun.com/cgi-bin/kbase.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_
sid=TQALIRfg&p_lva=&p_refno=010608-002524&p_created=992013163&p_sp=cF9ncmlkc
29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTMyJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9cGVybCZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPTMmcF9wc
m9kX2x2bDE9fmFueX4mcF9wcm9kX2x2bDI9fmFueX4mcF9jYXRfbHZsMT1_YW55fiZwX2NhdF9sd
mwyPX5hbnl_JnBfc29ydF9ieT1kZmx0JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=

Nice of them to give fair warning.  I'll think I'll stick with real RedHat
systems.