[rt-users] Newbie trouble: keywords don't work

Rich Lafferty rich+rt at lafferty.ca
Thu May 23 17:19:18 EDT 2002

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 12:54:37PM -0400, Alexander Dupuy (dupuy at sysd.com) wrote:
> Given that it seems like every single user who tries to set up keywords
> has this problem (I had it myself, but managed to figure it out without
> inflicting another request for explanation to the list), just having the
> Keywords tutorial doesn't seem like enough.
>
> Is there any reason the following patch (untested) or something much
> like it, shouldn't be used to prevent newbies from making this classic
> mistake?

Because you're a newbie for a couple weeks, and an experienced user
for years. :-)

You might have, say,

   Shirts
      Size
      Color
        Solid black
        Red/blue stripe

and have a keyword select rooted at "Shirts/Size" one level deep,
and one rooted at "Shirts/Color" one level deep. So you want
your keyword boxes to look like

  Size [ M   ]    Color [ Solid black     ]
       [ L   ]          [ Red/blue stripe ]

Since *RT* doesn't have to be protected from slashes in keywords, the
user doesn't need to be protected from it either; slashes in keywords
should work just fine. Of course, if they don't actually work, that's
a real bug. :-)

  -Rich

--
 Ottawa, Ontario, Canada    |  Save the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus!