[rt-users] RH 7.2 step by step

Gary Leong gwleong at lbl.gov
Thu May 23 19:16:59 EDT 2002

Here are the step by step instructions I promised way back when.  I
didn't get a chance to write it up until now.  It's off the top of my
head, so I do apologize if I neglected a step or two.  Please let me
know of any mistakes, so I can update the instructions on
documenations..  Thanks.

I also attached the file.

Gary

1)Install Redhat 7.2

2)Remove apache in distributed Redhat 7.2
To a get a list, run this command:

  rpm -qa | grep apache

apacheconf-0.8.1-1
apache-manual-1.3.22-2
apache-devel-1.3.22-2
apache-1.3.22-2

then run

  rpm -e apacheconf-0.8.1-1
  rpm -e apache-manual-1.3.22-2
  rpm -e apache-devel-1.3.22-2
  rpm -e apache-1.3.22-2

3)Download mod_perl and apache source.  I put the source in /temp. Unzip
and untar the source.

  gunzip -c apache_1.13.9.tar.gz | tar xvf -
  gunzip -c mod_perl-1.26.tar.gz | tar xvf -

4)To install Apache with mod_perl statically compiled.

cd into the mod_perl directory and run the following commands to
configure mod_perl for apache install:

      cd /temp/mod_perl-1.26
            perl Makefile.PL \
             APACHE_SRC=../apache_1.13.9/src \
              NO_HTTPD=1 \
              USE_APACI=1 \
              PREP_HTTPD=1 \
               EVERYTHING=1 \
               make
               make install

cd into apache source directory.  To install apache, run the following
commands:
         cd /temp/apache_1.3.19/
         ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache \
             --activate-module=src/modules/perl/libperl.a \

5) Download and install CPAN
unzip and untar source and cd into CPAN source directory.
follow these commands to install:

  gunzip -c CPAN-1.59.tar.gz | tar xvf -
  cd /temp/CPAN*
  perl Makefile.PL
  make
  make install

6) Install Mason manually as CPAN doesn't seem to download and install
it automatically.
unzip and untar source and cd into Mason directory.

  gunzip -c HTML-Mason-1.04.tar.gz | tar xvf -
   cd /temp/HTML-*
  perl Makefile.PL
  make
  make install

7) Download and unpackage RT.

  gunzip -c rt.tar.gz | tar xvf -

8) Get dependent modules.
  cd /temp/rt-2-0-9/
  make testdeps
  make fixdeps

9) Configure preliminarily apache.

 a)In http.conf, change the following lines.  They are in this order,
but not juxtaposed vertically.  Do a search
     make the changes.

  ServerType stand
  ServerRoot "/usr/local/apache"
  MinSpareServers 5
  MaxSpareServers 20
  StartServers 8
  MaxClients 150
  MaxRequestsPerChild 100
  Listen 80
  Port 80
  User apache
  Group apache
  ErrorLog /var/log/httpd/error.log
  CustomLog /var/log/httpd/access_log combined

 b)Make log directories.
  mkdir -p /var/log/httpd/error.log /var/log/httpd/access_log
  chown -R apache:apache /var/log/httpd/error.log
/var/log/httpd/access_log

10) Create user rt.

groupadd -g 35 rt
useradd -m -d /home/rt -u 4040 -g 35 rt

11) Set root password for MySQL database.

e.g.

username: root
password: 123456

The syntax is as follows:

/mysql/admin -u root password '123456'

12) Install RT

 a) Make changes to Makefile
  cd /tmp/rt-2-0-9
  vi Makefile
   for these entries

   RT_PATH = /opt/rt2
   RT_LOG_PATH = /var/log/rt2
                        DB_TYPE = Mysql
   DB_HOME = /usr/bin/mysql
   DB_DBA = root
   DB_DBA_PASSWORD = "123456"
   DB_RT_USER = rt
   WEB_USER  = apache
   WEB_GROUP = apache
 c) mkdir -p /var/log/rt2
    chown -R root:rt /var/log/rt2
    chmod 755 /var/log/rt2

 b) Install rt: build database and install rt files.

  make install

13) Set up Sendmail
 a) configure Sendmail to receive connections outside of localhost.
Sendmail from Redhat
           by default doesn't allow outside email.
  change the mc file

   vi /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
    DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')
<-------------dnl this entry
    run the command

   m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/sendmail.cf

   vi /etc/aliases
    rt-comment: "|/opt/rt2/bin/rt-mailgate --queue general --action
comment"    <----------add the following entry
    rt: "|/opt/rt2/bin/rt-mailgate --queue general --action
correspond"         <----------add the following entry
14) Configure config.pm file for rt
  Let's say our domain is wheats.com.

 a) Change the following in the file, accordingly.
  e.g.
  $rtname="wheats.com";
  $rtname="wheats.com";
  $DatabaseUser='rt';
  $DatabasePassword='123456';
  $CorrespondAddress='rt';
  $CommentAddress='rt';

15) Make sure user rt can access and manipulate database.

e.g.
username: root
password: 123456

  mysql -u root -p
  GRANT ALL ON rt2.db.* To rt at localhost Identified By "123456"
  quit
16) Setup rt to access by Apache.
 e.g.
 IP address of rt machine: 128.5.3.11
 Only machines in wheats.com domain will allow be accessed.

 In the httpd.conf file in /usr/local/apache/conf

 a) Add the following entries, accordingly.

  #NameVirtualHost *

  <VirtualHost 128.5.3.11>
  DocumentRoot /opt/rt2/WebRT/html
  ServerName dummy.wheats.com
  PerlModule Apache::DBI
  PerlFreshRestart On
  PerlRequire /opt/rt2/bin/webmux.pl
  <Location />
  SetHandler perl-script
  PerlHandler RT::Mason
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from *.wheats.lbl.gov
  </Location>
  </VirtualHost>

17) Add apache to run scripts.
  cp /usr/local/apache/bin/apachect1 /etc/init.d/
  ln -s /etc/init.d/apachect1 /etc/rc3.d/S99httpd

18) Reboot the machine. I hope everything works.  Please, please let me
know if things don't go right or how
I can make things clearer.