[rt-users] RE: Fatal Error on RT2 installation

darren chamberlain darren at boston.com
Tue Nov 5 15:07:59 EST 2002

* Gororo, Hillary <HGororo at chartercom.com> [2002-11-05 14:58]:
> I created directory (tmp)and RT installed successfully.  I have
> configured my config.pm file correctly and restarted apache.  However
> on trying to access the WebUI.  I am not getting the Logon.  Instead I
> am getting a 500 Internal Server Error.  My RT log at
> /usr/local/rt2/tmp has 1 file in it rtlog.0 that has nothing in it.

My experience has been that there is never anything in the logs. :(

> My apache logs at /usr/local/www/logs/error_log shows the following
> error:
>
> [Tue Nov  5 14:46:43 2002] [error] Can't write to
> '/usr/local/rt2/tmp/rt.log.20341.0': Permission denied at
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Log/Dispatch/File.pm line 72.
>
> Line 72 in File.pm reads:
>
> open $fh, "$mode$self->{filename}"
>         or die "Can't write to '$self->{filename}': $!";
>
> I reckon I have somewhat of a permissions problem? and also this error
> seems to relate to logging.

Yes -- you can chmod 777 /usr/local/rt2/tmp to test it out.

> Will this necessarily lead to the WebUI not coming up?

Yes -- the die will run your day, every time.  But, of course, the die
is a symptom of the permissions problem.

I would think that you can rm /usr/local/rt2/tmp/* and then restart the
server, and All Would Be Well.

You could also add, in webmux.pl:

  chown (Apache->server->uid, Apache->server->gid, $RT::LogDir);

Which will chown the logdir to the apache process.

(darren)

--
Nothing worse could happen to one than to be completely understood.
    -- Carl Gustav Jung