[rt-users] Handling RT responses via email

Brian Shellabarger brian at westhost.com
Thu Nov 7 14:23:09 EST 2002

I'm currently migrating to RT from another system that does everything via email (no web-based submissions). I would like to continue to make sure this method is an option for our support department (even though we will allow them to use the web interface if they like). I've run into a bit of a snag with this implementation

I'm using the following scrips to make sure agents are notified when they get a reply from a customer, and to make sure customers get a reply when the agent responds via email:

OCorrespond NotifyOwner with template Correspondence
OnCorrespond NotifyRequestors with template Correspondence

This works great except for the following scenario:

-- Agent gets email in his inbox from RT w/ customers request
-- Agent presses "reply" and responds and the messages goes back to RT
-- RT sends reply to customer
-- RT sends reply to agent

The problem is that in any scenario I can think of, the agent will get a copy of his own reply sent back to him. While the customer never notices anything, this is terribly annoying for the agent.

Any thoughts on a work around would be appreciated.

Brian