[rt-users] Password Encryption Used By RT

Rick Bradley rt-users at rickbradley.com
Fri Nov 8 14:04:12 EST 2002

* Rich Lafferty (rich+rt at lafferty.ca) [021108 12:28]:
> No, crypt() uses more than one algorithm on most systems that support
> MD5 passwords, and figures out which to use by the hash. In my
> experience, anything that works in your passwd file works in RT.

Agreed.  A problem arises when the server system has an old crypt()
which doesn't understand md5, but users/admins say "just use may
/etc/passwd password from <modern system>".  Then again, that sounds a
lot like a call for external auth to me. ;-)

Rick
--
 http://www.rickbradley.com    MUPRN: 51    (65F/65F)
                       |  RO Hey beautiful,
   random email haiku  |  I think I just missed you on