[rt-users] Re: Simple installation question (I hope)

Ferguson, Kevin KFerguso at chi.navtech.com
Fri Nov 15 12:43:56 EST 2002

> Kevin,
> I looked the get-around over.  I'm confused, where do I put the
> switches:
> "Kernel can't do setuid scripts safely", and
> "Let perl emulate setuid scripts"
>
> Is this during configure, or put it into the makefile, or ???  Thanks
> for the help,
> Don

Don,

If you run perl's configure script without the '-d' switch, it asks
dozens of questions regarding desired capabilities.  These are just
two of the questions asked.  The default for the first question,
"Kernel can't do setuid scripts safely", is 'no', the desired answer.
However, the default for the second, "Let perl emulate setuid scripts",
is also no, which disables any perl suid capability.  Originally, when
I ran the Configure script, I accepted all defaults with this exception
and this perl worked fine.

ARRGH!!  After I wrote this, I took a look at the perl.build script in
the Slackware 8.1 perl source tree.  It looks like it has changed the
default
for letting perl do suid scripts.  So, after reading the previous
exposition,
you should be able to ignore all of it.  It appears that the Slackware 8.1
perl
should be able to emulate the setuid scripts after all and you shouldn't
have
to compile it on your own.

This is what I get for trying to relate my previous experiences without
trying
to see if the underlying reasons have changed recently.

ttfn,
kevin