[rt-users] MySql 'not allowed to connect to host...'

Bruce Campbell bruce_campbell at ripe.net
Mon Nov 18 23:08:38 EST 2002

[ Firstly, if you're getting the list in digest form, please make sure
  that you change the subject line to be relevant, and not that of the
  digest number.  This helps people following archives and doing
  subject-based sorting ]

On 18 Nov 2002, Fred.Purdue wrote:

> > From: darren chamberlain
> > * Fred.Purdue <Fred.Purdue at Pobox.com> [2002-11-18 13:34]:
> > > shell> mysql -h helpdesk.corp.newoppinc.org -u root
> > > ERROR 1130: Host 'helpdesk.corp.newoppinc.org' is not allowed to
> > > connect to this MySQL server
> >
> > No password?
>
> If it was a password error I would be either be getting asked for a
> password or I would get a bad password response.

Depending on which varient of the mysql client you have, you should get
either 'blah blah is not allowed' or 'Access is denied for blah (using
password: NO)'.

Try snarfing the rt mysql username and password out of the config.pm file
and specifying them directly, eg:

	$ mysql -u rt_user -p rt_pass -h db.host rt2

	( 'rt_pass' can be absent, and MySQL will prompt you )

The MySQL access controls also limit by database requested, although if
you are connecting as the mysql root user (and failing), then you probably
have more serious problems.

You could also try connecting to 'localhost' instead of 'helpdesk.blah'.

> I not only flushed the privileges but I also restarted mysql.

Then you have mysql root (admin) access.

--
                              Bruce Campbell                       RIPE
  @                 Systems/Network Engineer                        NCC