[rt-users] Newbie confusion

Rick Rezinas rick.rezinas at qsent.com
Mon Nov 25 12:52:27 EST 2002

I'm not an RT expert, but I think trying to accomplish these tasks will
get you well on your way.

1) create a user.
2) create a queue.
3) setup the mailgate to process email to the queue (I use qmail, so my
way
is probably different than yours)
4) add the user to the queue using the user rights.
5) groups work quite similarly.
6) make the user a Watcher of said queue (Admin is good, because it
Bcc's)
7) add queue scrips: OnCorrespond NotifyAdminCCs with template
Transaction and OnCorrespond NotifyRequestors with template
Correspondence.
7) send an email to the queue.
8) login as the user and manipulate the ticket.  take it, open it,
comment, reply.  Note the difference between comments and replies.

all of these things are in the manual.

The key (I think) to managing RT is the queues.  You need to have the
right queues with the right members and permissions for it to be useful
to your 'customers'. Spend some time playing with RT.  Spend more time
thinking about what divisions will benefit everyone.  Remember that
queue changes, while possible, create pain.

I haven't really played with keywords at all.

rick