[rt-users] Deleting/Merging users

Tony Aiuto tony at ics.com
Tue Nov 26 08:46:17 EST 2002

>My employer has moved to a new domain, and hence we all have new email
>addresses.
>
>I tried changing my email address from the Configuration menu, but it said
>"Permission Denied" ...  I checked and found that my new email address is
>already present in RT's database, as "Autocreated on ticket submission".

>mysql> select id,Name,EmailAddress,Comments from Users where EmailAddress like '%binand%';
>+-----+--------------------------+--------------------------+----------------------------------+
>| id  | Name                     | EmailAddress             | Comments                         |
>+-----+--------------------------+--------------------------+----------------------------------+
>|   4 | binand                   | binand at yyyyyyyy.com      | NULL                             |
>|  40 | binand at xxxxxxxxxxxx.com  | binand at xxxxxxxxxxxx.com  | Autocreated on ticket submission |
>|  55 | binands at xxxxxxxxxxxx.com | binands at xxxxxxxxxxxx.com | Autocreated on ticket submission |
>| 101 | binand at gmx.net           | binand at gmx.net           | Autocreated on ticket submission |
>+-----+--------------------------+--------------------------+----------------------------------+

>I want to merge all these into one account, with id = 4. Or if
>simpler, I just want to change the EmailAddress for id = 4 to
>binands at xxxxxxxxxxxx.com. Is it ok if I do an UPDATE in the database? :-)

You can update the database, but don't just update the email for id=4.
You also have to go through every record type which points at a user
and change any of the values 40, 55 and 101 to 4.   (Presuming that
you really want to merge them).   If you really don't care about merging
the old data, you could try this

   update Users set Name='binand at old', EmailAddress='binand at old' where id = 55
   update Users set EmailAddress='binands at xxxxxxxxx.com' where id = 4

I'm assuming that it would be very bad to have two User records to have
the same name, and that it would probably be bad for one record to have
an EmailAddress that matches the Name of another record.

-tony aiuto