[rt-users] postgres vs mysql

Simon Cozens rt at netthink.co.uk
Wed Oct 9 11:57:33 EDT 2002

John Green:
> Various threads here, and on the website, mention that mysql is
> recommended as a database backend for RT rather than postgresql.
>
> Does anyone have any evidence showing why?  I am particularly interested
> in any performance figures/anecdotes.

Two major reasons:
    1) Postgres is big, grand, and feature-complete. mysql is lightweight,
    fast and does just enough SQL for RT to be happy.
    2) Postgres can't handle embedded nulls in binary objects, so RT has to
    muck about with base 64 encoding in some cases, which is slow.

There's something else to do with case sensitivity but I can't remember it.

--
If the code and the comments disagree, then both are probably wrong.
		-- Norm Schryer