[rt-users] sendmail won't run rt-mailgate

Liu, Chunyen Chunyen.Liu at garmin.com
Thu Oct 17 11:43:08 EDT 2002

I did check the FAQ and make sure I have the symbolic
link for rt-mailagte as follows:
   ln -s /usr/local/rt2/bin/rt-mailgate /etc/smrsh/rt-mailgate

I also check to make sure we did set up correctly in /etc/aliases
and "newaliases" but the mail message still got returned with the
following error:

> "|/usr/local/rt2/bin/rt-mailgate --queue temp --action correspond"
>     (reason: service unavailable)
>     (expanded from: <temp at geneva.garmin.com>)

> smrsh: rt-mailgate not available for sendmail programs
> 554 5.0.0 Service unavailable <<ATT1037486.TXT>> <<test mail>>

Here are some notes:
(1) RT server used to be able to handle mail before.
     Then a couple of days ago, RT server had trouble rebooting
     itself, so we did a hard reboot. (reset the mahine by pressing the
     button)      The hard reboot failed a few times at system
     initialization.   We then found out the file "/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit"
     had been set to read-only.     After changing the access mode,
     it thus rebooted successfully.
(2) What is weird is - it waited for almost an hour to return the
     error "Service unavailable".      In the past, if we mistyped
     the queue's correspondence address, it got returned
     almost immediately.

Anyone has had similar experience or solutions?

Thanks.
- Chunyen