[rt-users] Making RT invisible - changing subject lines

Bruce Campbell bruce_campbell at ripe.net
Thu Oct 31 18:28:35 EST 2002

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Mike Patterson wrote:

> At this point, as I'm easing our group into the system I willing to live
> with a users reply to a techs comments create a new queue (yes I thought

A lot of the time the contributing inhabitants of the rt-users list are
able to work out what questions people are asking by utilising a mixture
method of personal experience, memory recall and in some cases,
non-intrusive telepathy.

However, all of this assumes that the question has been phrased in a
manner conductive to the above methods.  So, usage of appropriate
terminology is very much appreciated, as people generally don't like
having to ask what seems like basic questions in order to assist others.
Plus using intrusive telepathy on people I don't know gives me a splitting
headache.

So far in your thread, you've asked the following paraphrased questions:

	Where can I find out about the terminology of RT, so I don't
	confuse 'ticket' with 'queue', or a 'User' with a 'Scrip', or
	something else?

		http://www.fsck.com/rtfm/

	Can emails from my tech guys to the ticket requestors be sent
	without the [$rtname #$ticket_number] tags?

		Yes, they can.  The code which sends outgoing email and
		edits the subject can be found in
		[rtlibdir]/RT/Action/SendEmail.pm .  Changing this
		behaviour should be easy, although not recommended,
		assuming a basic knowledge of perl.

	How does RT communicate updates from my tech guys using the web
	interface?

		The Web interface communicates directly with the database
		(well, the RT server does, not the tech-guys web
		browsers).  Email is sent according to the Scrips defined,
		and is not an essential part of RT's operation.

	What are updates from the web considered as?  Comments or
	Correspondence?

		RT defines Comments as 'text entered by your tech guys
		which assists other techs in understanding the problem or
		the customer'.  Comments should never be sent to the
		customer.  Correspondence is defined as being 'text
		entered by either your tech guys or your customer which is
		sent to all parties involved'.  Correspondence gets sent
		to your customers.

		Your tech guys can enter either type of update from the
		Web interface.

	Can I ask questions in a manner which doesn't make people wonder
	what I'm on?

		Certainly.  Most of a usable Users Guide, and RT
		Administrators guide exist within RT/FM:

			http://www.fsck.com/rtfm/

		The rt-users community is more of for questions that are
		not immediately answered by RT/FM (above).  Asking
		questions which are interesting and are not in RT/FM
		serves to keep people's interest in rt-users alive, as we
		all like an intellectual challenge every now and then.

		Another thing that we deeply appreciate is appropriate
		quoting of your mails.  When replying to mails, try to
		avoid top-posting and insert your comments at the
		appropriate place in the mail.  Items which you are not
		directly addressing can be trimmed off to make for a
		shorter, more concise email.

	Are some people making fun of me on the mailing list?  I can't
	tell when some of them are being serious or not.

		Anyone with an address ending in .au is probably an
		Australian, although there are some others scattered
		around without .au addresses.  These people speak a
		different language and you can never tell if they're
		being serious or not.  We^WThey sometimes put in a ';)'
		symbol as a hint.

Kind regards,

                   Systems/Network Engineer                             NCC
                 www.ripe.net - PGP562C8B1B             Operations/Security

;)