[rt-users] can't connect to mysql.sock?

bill at daze.net bill at daze.net
Fri Sep 6 14:55:32 EDT 2002

> Apache & Mysql both _appear_ to be running fine.
>
> However, whenever I attempt to connect to the webui, I get this message:
>
> DBI->connect(dbname=rt2;host=localhost) failed: Can't connect to local MySQL
> server through socket '/usr/local/mysql/var/mysql.sock'

Usually means the mysql socket file has gone away...  you can confirm this
by trying a directory listing of /usr/local/mysql/var/mysql.sock

Or try manually connecting to mysql via a socket at the shell prompt:

% mysql

The solution is to shutdown mysql and restart it, and verify the socket
was created.