[rt-users] Deleting Users and Groups

Smylers smylers at gbdirect.co.uk
Sun Sep 15 10:22:45 EDT 2002

On Friday Mark E. Dawson, Jr. wrote:

> MySQL *does* have RI constraints -- more specifically, it contains the
> foreign key constraints with 'on delete cascade' that I mentioned.
>
> However, as I stated above, the developers may have decided that this
> was a function that most people wouldn't need, and so left it out.
> But it still could be done.

The question is not only of who would find it useful, but who could be
harmed by this.  Suppose all your deletions cascade, then removing a
user would remove all tickets that that user had ever been a watcher on
or sent any comments or correspondence to.

The harm in deleting a user without meaning to (or thinking that you
meant to but not properly understanding the consequences would be
great).  The 'harm' in merely having to disable users without being able
to delete them is much smaller, and therefore a considerably safer
course of action.

Smylers
--
GBdirect