[rt-users] New Install: User creation, System config questions

Phil Homewood pdh at snapgear.com
Tue Sep 17 18:44:28 EDT 2002

Drew Mooney wrote:
> So the From: line in the email all the users received said "Amanda
> Backup Utility" [the comment I made in the 'amanda' useradd] and of
> course the message text had absolutely nothing to do with 'amanda'. Just

Sendmail uses logname() (or perhaps $LOGNAME) if I recall correctly.
Workarounds:

1. Don't log in as generic accounts and send mail
2. use the "-f" arg to sendmail to set the sender address
3. Don't use sendmail.

And no, #3 does not mean "use {exim,qmail,postfix}". /bin/mail
or any one of many other end-user mail user agents is often a
better choice than invoking your MTA in "generate a message"
mode.
--
Phil Homewood, Systems Janitor, www.SnapGear.com
pdh at snapgear.com Ph: +61 7 3435 2810 Fx: +61 7 3891 3630