[rt-users] RT 3.0, postfix, wrong outgoing address

Jorn Hass jornh at is.co.za
Thu Apr 3 01:52:18 EST 2003

This behavior is actually correct. What you see in the maillog file, is the
"envelope" sender, and not the "from:" that you see in the email itself.
When you view the message at the receiving side, it shows up as
rt@<wherever>.

I think this is actually a security feature of postfix, to always reflect
the correct local sender (the user running apache in this case), rather than
try and take it out of the email itself.

As I do not want people to see this envelope sender, I have used the
sender_canonical function of Postfix, to rewrite all from
envelope. This has the side effect that it will also send failures bounces
back to rt@<domain> (unless failures-to has been set) which might not be
what you want, so you might want to rewrite to something other than rt.

I can see that RT sets the reply-to correctly, so unless you have an
absolute braindead mailprogram, there shouldn't be any problems.

I do see that it does not set "Errors-To:", which is maybe something that is
needed to prevent the above side effect of failure messages. Any thoughts?

I hope this helps.
Regards, Jörn Hass
Senior Systems Engineer, Infrastructure.
Internet Solutions
Tel:            +27 (11) 575 1000
Fax:            +27 (11) 388 3362
E-mail:         jorn.hass at is.co.za