[rt-users] RT 3.0, postfix, wrong outgoing address

Curtis Rempel curtis at telus.net
Thu Apr 3 09:44:13 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-02 at 23:52, Jorn Hass wrote:

    This behavior is actually correct. What you see in the maillog file,
    is the "envelope" sender, and not the "from:" that you see in the
    email itself.

    When you view the message at the receiving side, it shows up as
    rt@<wherever>.

    I think this is actually a security feature of postfix, to always
    reflect the correct local sender (the user running apache in this
    case), rather than try and take it out of the email itself.

    As I do not want people to see this envelope sender, I have used the
    sender_canonical function of Postfix, to rewrite all from
    better in the envelope. This has the side effect that it will also
    send failures bounces back to rt@<domain> (unless failures-to has
    been set) which might not be what you want, so you might want to
    rewrite to something other than rt.

    I can see that RT sets the reply-to correctly, so unless you have an
    absolute braindead mailprogram, there shouldn't be any problems.

    I do see that it does not set "Errors-To:", which is maybe something
    that is needed to prevent the above side effect of failure messages.
    Any thoughts?

    I hope this helps.

    Regards, Jörn Hass
    Senior Systems Engineer, Infrastructure.
    Internet Solutions
    Tel:            +27 (11) 575 1000
    Fax:            +27 (11) 388 3362
    E-mail:         jorn.hass at is.co.za
    WWW:            http://www.is.co.za

Thanks for the info.    What appears to have been happening is this: all
email is sent/received from an external ISP - I use fetchmail to
populate the mailboxes on the local machine from the ISP.  In addition,
the local machine is configured to use the ISP for outgoing SMTP.
Therein was the problem: the ISP validates outgoing email with my domain
and was complaining that apache at mydomain.com was not a valid address.
The fix was to add a bogus email address, apache at mydomain.com, at my ISP
via my account configuration utilities.  Once this bogus account was in
place, the ISP was able to validate the outgoing RT email and as you
suggested, the From: lines are indeed correct - it was the Sender line
(apache at mydomain.com) that was tripping on the ISP email validation
logic.

Curtis