[rt-users] RT 3.0 Speed

Dean Kao nouveaux at lightconsulting.com
Wed Apr 23 12:47:16 EDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 11:19:49PM -0400, Nicolae P. Costescu developed
a new theory of relativity and:
> You will see a big benefit from paying $400 for a motherboard/cpu/ram upgrade.
> On a single CPU p4/2.4GHz, with 512MB of DDRAM you will have about 3x your
> memory bandwidth, and 5x your CPU speed. This will make a BIG difference.
> Your current SMP system is a shared bus architecture, and that shared RAM
> bus is slow compared to the memory controller on Intel DDRAM motherboards
> (i845 and above).
>
> If you want specific recommendations for a particular mobo/cpu/ram email me
> directly and I'll be glad to spec it for you.

As much as I'd like to believe that hardware is the main cause of all
this, RT2.0 is 2x faster than RT3.0 for the main page.  If it was slower
for a search, that's fine.  Just merely getting to the homepage is the
big killer.

Disabling quicksearch has been thought of but is not the
preferred option because we want that information.  This is why I
suggested caching the quicksearch.  I will try uprading mason
today to see if there is any improvement.  I only remember MySQL 4.0
as the recommended performance booster (which took the login from
60 seconds to 10).

Dean