[rt-users] How is language determined in RT?

Christian Gilmore cag at us.ibm.com
Tue Aug 5 16:06:14 EDT 2003

Jesse,

I'm sending in a header that looks like:

en-us, ja;q=0.8

Instead of getting en back (as matching the en-us tag prefix), I'm getting
ja. The specification isn't written in clearly understandable way, but I
believe the key element is the following quoted sentence with my
interpretations in brackets from RFC 2616, section 14.4:

A language-range matches a language-tag if it exactly equals the tag [ie,
en-us = en-us or ja = ja], or if it exactly equals a prefix of the tag
[ie, en = en-us] such that the first tag character following the prefix is
"-".

FWIW, I put the I18N::AcceptLanguage module on CPAN a long while ago that
did this determination properly per my understanding of the RFC.

Thanks,
Christian

Christian Gilmore
Technology Leader