[rt-users] RT and Spam

Chris Hardie chris at summersault.com
Tue Aug 5 17:50:15 EDT 2003

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Robert Grasso wrote:

> In our company, we use RT only for our support staff. Thus I set up TMDA
> http://tmda.net/, which is a challenge-response system : I set it up a
> couple of weeks ago, but for the moment it seems to be efficient.

We do the same thing on our public support e-mail address, except that we
only pass it through TMDA if the message fails one of a few RBL checks.
This means that MOST spam is caught, and that MOST legitimate messages go
through unchallenged.  We thought that was appropriate for a support
address, where someone may already be experiencing frustrations about
something else, and won't always react kindly to another hoop to jump
through to get help.  :)

We also run a "clean tickets" script that deletes tickets marked as such
(and related tuples) from the database altogether.  I believe it's the one
most recently updated by Jonas Lincoln; you should be able to find it in
the archives.

Chris