[rt-users] Huge memory leaks(httpd)

Michael van Elst mlelstv at dev.de.cw.net
Wed Aug 6 09:30:36 EDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003, Ruslan U. Zakirov wrote:

>    No. Not sure. Max attach size 16MB

This is fairly large. Do you really use attachments that large ?

> Only one process grow to 250MB. I know that mod_perl uses memory, but
> not 250 MB.

It's not mod_perl that uses memory but RT which is run by mod_perl.
Most comes from trying to handle unicode.

As an example, when I run the following script on my FreeBSD machine,
the perl interpreter first requires about 1.7MB, after reading the
kernel file (about 2.8MB) it grows to 7.7MB, after changing the
variable to unicode mode it grows to 17MB.

----- snip -----
sleep 5;
$x = `cat /kernel`;
sleep 10;
substr($x,0,1) = "\x{100}";
sleep 60;
----- snap -----

perl required about 5.5 times the size of the actual data. The
same (and worse) happens when RT handles a 16MB attachment. The
_best_ it could do would grow the process to about 90MB. But since
RT keeps a few copies of the message in memory it grows even larger.

Going to fastcgi doesn't change this, except that now its not
the apache process growing but the fastcgi process growing.

> Do you have same behavior of apache?

I would get this behaviour if I'd try to send a 16MB ticket to RT.

Greetings,
--
    ,eM""=.            a"-.                         Michael van Elst
   dWWMWM" -          :GM==;                        mlelstv at dev.de.cw.net
  :WWMWMw=--.          "W='  cable & wireless
   9WWMm==-.
    "-Wmw-"  CABLE & WIRELESS