[rt-users] Strange characters for apostrophes

Alexey Rusakov ktirf at ringrows.ru
Mon Aug 11 08:17:49 EDT 2003

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 13:34:44 -0400
Viraj Alankar <valankar at access4less.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 01:22:42PM -0400, Jesse Vincent wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 10:57:19AM -0400, Viraj Alankar wrote:
> >
> > Sounds like word is using something non-standard for dashes.
It is. Word knows several types of dashes and "autocorrects" them depending
on where they appear.

> One thing I notice is if I write the following in Word:
>
> blah's
>
> and then cut and paste this in notepad, the apostrophe is different from the
> normal apostrophe as entered directly in notepad. The apostrophe is slanted
> a little bit.
>
> I don't know much about character translation, but I know Word has different
> types of apostrophes, opening and closing. Any way this can be worked around?
If you are satisfied with a workaround inside Word, then you can turn off
AutoCorrect feature inside Word, or at least adjust it so it doesn't replace
apostrophes, quotes, hyphens...

--
  Alexey Rusakov aka Ktirf
  RingRows OOO