[rt-users] Poor performance in upgrade from RT2 to RT3

Vivek Khera khera at kcilink.com
Wed Aug 27 11:11:48 EDT 2003

JR> I don't know how much it will help, but Postgresql's defaults aren't
JR> appropriate for a production machine with 1G.   This page is the best
JR> I've found for tuning instructions:

Here's my 2GB RAM server config.  I haven't figured out what I'm gonna
do with my replacement which has 4GB... ;-)

The most important settings for me have been the max_fsm_* settings.
for RT, you probably don't need as big max_fsm_pages, but this DB
server does many other things...  for 1GB you may wish to lower
sort_mem a bit depending on what other things you're doing.
everything else is pretty much minor tweaking for my main application.

tcpip_socket = true

max_connections = 64

shared_buffers = 60000
max_fsm_relations = 1000
max_fsm_pages = 1000000

sort_mem = 8192
vacuum_mem = 131702

effective_cache_size = 25600  # about 200M
random_page_cost = 2

syslog = 2 # range 0-2
syslog_facility = 'LOCAL0'
syslog_ident = 'postgres'