[rt-users] Mod-FASTCGI |+ Apache2

McKinlay, Ken ken.mckinlay at dy4.com
Tue Dec 2 09:32:56 EST 2003

Rich,

I was finally able to get Apache2 + mod_fastcgi on RH9 working. In this case
I was trying to use RPMs as much as possible so that I can hand off system
maintenance to a more junior administrator.

Some of the things to watch out for:

1. To compile mod_fastcgi, do the following from within the mod_fastcgi
source directory (from posting by Bryan White on fastcgi list):
	cp Makefile.AP2 Makefile
	make top_dir=/usr/lib/httpd
	make top_dir=/usr/lib/httpd install

2. You will have to add the correct entries for loading mod_fastcgi into
httpd.conf:
	LoadModule fastcgi_module modules/mod_fastcgi.so
	AddHandler fastcgi-script fcgi

3. If you have a problem where fastcgi reports it can't read or write to a
file as uid = -1 or gid = -1, move the FastCgiServer entry to be after the
"User Apache" and "Group Apache" lines in httpd.conf. If you are loading the
fastcgi stuff from a file in /etc/httpd/conf.d, add those "User" and "Group"
entries to the file. The include for the conf.d directory is done by RedHat
before the user and group is set. (from posting by Cassidy Larson to
rt-users list)

4. If you get an error "Can't do setuid" in /var/log/httpd/error_log and you
are using the perl RPM from RedHat, make sure that the perl-suidperl RPM is
also installed.

5. Set the FastCgiIpcDir to something other than the default. For example,
from the posting by Guillaume Perreal to rt_users list:
	In httpd.conf
		FastCgiIpcDir /var/run/httpd/fastcgi

	Create the directory
		mkdir -p /var/run/httpd/fastcgi
		chown -R apache:apache /var/run/httpd
		chmod 700 -R /var/run/httpd

6. If using the latest Mason source (1.24), make sure you apply the patch
found at http://www.masonhq.com/resources/todo/view_patch.txt?id=521 or
downgrade to 1.23. (Thanks to Jody Belka on rt_users for this fix)

7. There is a problem with the latest DBD::Pg that causes problems with make
initialize database if using postgres. Jesse has mentioned that this fix
should be released as part of 3.0.8. However, for now:
	1. make initialize database

	2. edit the script it ran ($RT_HOME/sbin/rt-setup-database) and
comment out the create_database and create_schema calls (I think those are
the names of the functions)

	3. run "make initialize" a second time to finish the process.

	4. undo the changes made to $RT_HOME/sbin/rt-setup-database

I think those are all the changes I did to get RT3 running on RH9 with
Apache 2 and mod_fastcgi.

Good Luck!

Ken McKinlay (an RT3 newbie)