[rt-users] Has anyone figured out how to install Apache::Test?

Jorey Bump list+rt at joreybump.com
Thu Dec 4 09:29:56 EST 2003

MAS wrote:

> I had similar problems, but following some advice I found elsewhere I
> used the 'force install Apache::Test' command at the cpan prompt and it
> not only installed fine, but allowed all the other modules to install too.

One of the reasons this works is that some Apache-related modules
require you to run the test portion as a non-root user. This means that
you can't simply open cpan as root and get a successful system-wide
installation of the module; the tests will always fail.

Whether or not you should force the install depends on how customized
your environment is. In some cases, it's better to download the tarball,
run make and make test as a nonprivileged user, then su to root to run
make install.

Since I install rt under its own environment with its own user and
binaries, I don't run into this problem anymore. So far, it's running
stable and doesn't interfere with the rest of the machine.