[rt-users] RT using SSL

Leon Sonntag leon at iwa-solutions.com
Mon Dec 8 11:31:48 EST 2003

At 09:16 AM 12/8/03, Jorey Bump wrote:

>>BM> Hi, Leon,
>>BM>     To the best of my knowledge you can't do virtualhosting with SSL.
>
>In fact, most SSL is done in a virtual host container (at least with
>apache, it is).
>
>>yes, you can.  you cannot do *name-based* virtuals -- they must be
>>IP-based as you've pointed out.

Did not realize that...THNX

>But don't interpret this to mean that you can have only one SSL host (or
>hostname) per IP address. Technically, the only difference between IP- and
>name-based hosts is that name-based hosts can share the same port on the
>same IP. It's up to the browser to ask the server for the right host,
>otherwise it will serve the default.
>
>This means that you can set up multiple SSL hosts on the same IP if they
>listen on different ports:
>
>  https://www.example.com  (listens on standard port 443)
>  https://support.example.com:444
>
>Both hostnames resolve to the same IP, but have their own virtual host
>container, so they are able to serve up their own certificates. Most
>people would want to use the nonstandard port for internal use only, such
>as with a trouble ticket system. ;)

Now that I think about it, that bears out.  We have another system that
multiple SSL servers on it.

I think I have some other issues too though be cause the SSL servers starts
and serves pages but only serves the default page.  I only have the one SSL
server on that APACHE server.  I will make sure that the virtual SSL is
setup as IP based rather than name based though.