[rt-users] problem with mail-gateway conf.

Jorey Bump list+rt at joreybump.com
Tue Dec 9 11:04:59 EST 2003

stefano wrote:

> I set the following alias in /etc/aliases:
> rt:"|/home/rt/rt-yogitech/bin/rt-mailgate --queue ITgroup --action
> correspond
>
> but when I try to send an e-mail to rt account, after a lot I obtain a
> reply that says something like:
>
>   ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
> "|/home/rt/rt-yogitech/bin/rt-mailgate --queue ITgroup --action correspond
>    (reason: Operating system error)
>    (expanded from: <rt at localhost>)
>
> what's going wrong?

What MTA do you use? If you use sendmail, you may need to put a symlink
to rt-mailgate in /etc/smrsh and use that instead. It's a safety feature
that some distributions compile into sendmail by default. This will
affect .forward files as well.

I've been getting good results by using procmail instead of
/etc/aliases. Create a user to receive RT's mail, and use that user's
.procmailrc to filter the mail and sort it into the proper queue. It's a
lot more flexible and doesn't require root privileges. It also allows
you to do spam filtering on a per-queue basis (otherwise, your abuse
queue would always be strangely empty).