[rt-users] Template manual?

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym at canada.com
Wed Dec 10 09:53:28 EST 2003

Greeting fellow RT fans

First off, amazing bit of work this RT thing; I had used it once
before, many years ago (before the dot-bomb), and based on that
experience I recommended it to xmlteam.com -- in the tail of the
latest email from their CEO Alan Karben I found, "Other things I'm
excited about: RT, ThinkSMS.co.uk ..."

Top of his list. RT blew them away.

But I have a lot of catch-up to do; whatever I /did/ know about RT
I've long since forgotten and was probably obsolete anyway.

My immediate issues are with customizing notification emails.  For
some of the settings, the manual is a silent on the config variables
and the RT_Config comments say where, but don't say /how/ the values
are used, or what might be reasonable examples ;)

1) in practical terms, what do people use as the CorrespondAddress and
CommentAddress?  Are these best set to rt@ and rt-comment@ or should
they point to people?

2) The From: _name_ part in my emails is coming out as the /description/
of the queue; can I change this to the _name_ of the queue?  Because
we hope to allow trusted customers into the web interface, I would
like to use very descriptive descriptions.

3) Related to (2), is it possible to use the name of the queue instead of
the queue number in the Subject line?  I'd love to tell customers to post
their issues with a subject line [xmlteam.com FeedFetcher]

I did find the Mason templates for the webpage and started tinkering
with them, but is there a rule-base somewhere that describes all the
variables available?  Another small problem I found with the current
(PDF) manual is that it describes what it means to Own Ticket, but not
how this might differ from Take Ticket.

Something that has probably been talked about before, but I'll add my
two cents because I have seen it work very well in the Drupal.org
project: Have you considered installing a WikiWiki server on the home
website to let the users of RT maintain the user manual?  The nagios.org
project also gets good results running a FAQ-o-Matic.

--
Gary Lawrence Murphy <garym at teledyn.com>
www.teledyn.com/mt - www.teledyn.com - sbp.teledyn.com