[rt-users] Does Postgres offer acceptable performance

Jamie Lawrence rtusers-lists-fsck-com at jal.org
Wed Dec 10 16:26:21 EST 2003

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Tim Wilson wrote:

> Before I decide for sure, I need to know if Postgres would work *well
> enough*. This is not going to be a big RT installation (at least initially),
> so I don't think I'd push either database system very hard. Are there any
> satisfied RT/Postgres customers out there?

One extremely satisfied one here...

"Well enough" is entirely up to you. I have no idea what your needs are,
or what you're going to run it on.

I've never tried RT on MySQL, so I can't compare, but in general, RT
isn't doing anything terribly fancy database-side, so that shouldn't be
a factor. Transaction isolation, etc. features of Postgres tend to
result in a small slowdown when compared to Mysql. For me, that's worth
it, because this database instance does other things that require the
Postgres featureset.

You'll have to decide for yourself, but it is more than fine for us
(smallish installation, slow, old hardware: no software problems,
perfectly fine performance).

HTH,

-j

Jamie Lawrence                                        jal at jal.org
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy.