[rt-users] access database.

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Wed Dec 17 09:53:39 EST 2003

nemir nemiria wrote:

> Hiya....
>
> I am not sure if this is an RT thing or if I should post it to MySQL &
> PG lists instead,  but I'll start here.
>
> I am currently about to trial RT in my office.  Presently,  to track
> jobs we're using a clunky old access DB.   How hard will it be to
> import this into my new RT database (either MySQL or PostGreSQL at
> this stage...) ?
>
> Has anyone done such a thing?   I couldn't find anythign that might be
> useful anaywhere....   Is it hard to make all the right fields end up
> in the right place,  etc?
>
> TIA
>
> Nemir

I upgraded us from Support Magic 3 to RT 2, using Access as the middle
step. First I imported all of the Support Magic data into identical
Access tables, and created ODBC links to the RT tables. I then figured
out the structure of RT and what fields and tables needed to be
populated (users, tickets, tranactions, keywords, attachments, etc).
Once I was confident in my testing that the tables were updating
correctly I wrote update queries in Access to copy the data from the SM
tables to the RT tables. I copied about 20,000 tickets and 100,000
transactions, and it worked great. As I recall the biggest problem I had
was not clobbering the RT transaction and attachment primary keys. I
don't think I still have the queries or I would offer them up to you.
Access has been the bane of my existence for a long time, so I avoid it
as much as possible now... :)

Hope that helps.

Tom