[rt-users] Re: RT and Mail Servers on Two Different Machines

Martin J. Green martin.green at firstinternetservices.com
Wed Dec 17 11:55:28 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "seph" <seph at directionless.org>
To: "Everett Littles" <eslittles at ucdavis.edu>
Cc: <rt-users at lists.fsck.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 3:52 PM
Subject: [rt-users] Re: RT and Mail Servers on Two Different Machines

> > I currently have an existing helpdesk address on my mail server
> > helpdesk at test.domain.com .  I would like the mail from that address to
> > mail its way into RT.  I've read the RT manual a million times and I
> > am just missing something.  As I (wrongly) interpreted things, I set
> > up my mail server to forward mail to my RT server at
> > rt at rt.otherserver.domain.com.  Then I also put rt:
> > "|/usr/local/rt2/bin/rt-mailgate --queue general --action correspond"
> > in the aliases file on my RT server.
> > Needless to say, it is not working.
>
> do you know that the rt server is even getting the email? Look in your
> various MTA logs. You should either be able to find an error, or
> determin that it's an MTA problem.

Check your mail queue and /tmp directory as well. If you haven't already run
sendmail -bi (I'm assuming you're running sendmail, as you haven't indicated
what MTA you're using) do so now.

Most likely you have the same problem as me... something to do with RT using
a deprecated option in MIME-tools. You'll likely find your /tmp directory is
filled with random copies of the original mail as your MTA tries to deliver
it but it fails

Martin